Saturday, March 24, 2007

Leslie Gulch


I am endlessly fascinated with frontier life and how people lived, survived and ended up in some of the most seemingly desolate areas of the country.


One such place is Leslie Gulch in extreme eastern Oregon. No regular inlets of water, the area was inhabited by pioneers who were mining for silver long ago. My first question is how did they find the area in the first place and secondly how did they survive? Rhetorical questions of course but still fun to wonder about.


This shot is of the only real structure in the main area of Leslie Gulch. It could be a BLM building or it could be privately owned-there was no information.

I took this on March 17th and it was a gorgeous sunny warm day and people were already out for the weekend camping. I love the west.
Leslie Gulch Series, 3/17/2007 MMR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fiona,

Thanks for the nice picture of our cabin. Many people have speculated that the cabin was owned by the BLM, etc. However, my father and our family built the cabin over 25 years ago. We have spent hundreds of happy days there, and I proposed to my wife on the mountain directly behind your vantage of this picture.

MRae said...

Hi Sking,

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm glad to finally know it's origin. How lucky to have a cabin in such a beautiful place and I hope you have many opportunities during the year to enjoy it. I'd be happy to send you some more shots I got via email if you're interested (though I am sure you have plenty!)